Social icons

Ikea - friend or foe?

Jun 21, 2017

I think for a lot of people Ikea is first and foremost a great place for students and renters, because they offer good looking furniture at a reasonable price. But Ikea is actually a great place for any homeowner who wants to spruce up their home with cool furniture and decor, you just have to know how to shop for the right things.

As a person who loves both fashion, beauty and interior I have to choose wisely where my money goes, seeing as all these things can cost you about a months rent. And because of that I really love shopping at Ikea. It's where I find those standout pieces for our home, without having to sacrifice all the other things on my wishlist.

I also love going to Ikea simply for inspiration. I think the people that work there are really good at updating the displays and keeping them current. 

I do however agree that some of the very cheap pieces are just that, very cheap. But as I said, you need to know how to shop, because you can also find good items that can look more expensive with some good styling. Why pay more when you can get the same look for less, right? It’s also important to look at what materials the furniture is made from. This is an all-round dealbreaker. It’s like shopping for fashion pieces in retail stores, you have to look for pieces made from good sustainable materials. It’s what makes the furniture look and feel more expensive.

//Ikea in many ways brought modern design to the average people, making it possible for them buy pieces that they otherwise wouldn't be able to afford. // photos from Ikea.com

We have a lot of furniture from Ikea, and my walk-in and our kitchen (which I screwed together myself) is also Ikea. Still, when people come visit and ask about the furniture and I tell them "it's from Ikea", they're all equally surprised. 
I can understand that people don't want their home to be filled with just Ikea furniture (or no, actually I'm lying...I don't really understand, but I know a lot of people feel this way) but if you style it right your home can look modern and chic without screaming Ikea.

Ikea pieces are also very easy to hack (if you want to tweak them a little or just make them more your style), and you can find a lot of great tourtorials on the subject over on Pinterest

As you probably have guessed already in the beginning of this blogpost, I love Ikea. I know what to buy and what to pass on, and I understand what I'm getting (i.e you get what you pay for), and as long as I'm aware of that I don't understand the problem. I also really enjoy putting the furniture together, might be because of my love for puzzles when I was younger, but it also gives me a sense of accomplishment.


So, what is Ikea to you? Friend? Or foe? An if foe, why?

2 comments

  1. I love Ikea! I think it's great for everyone too!
    x
    http://anoddgirl.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who does. Thanks for being part of the "gang" :D haha

      Delete

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.